Please read the rules carefully before entering.
- The competition is open to anyone over 18 years of age. International entries are welcome.
- The closing date of the competition is 12:00 (noon) GMT, 17 June 2018.
- Only one 821 poem per entry.
- Entries will be retained for the duration of the reading/judging period, after which time they will be deleted.
- Under no circumstances may alterations be made to poems once submitted.
- Email confirmation of receipt is not available. We are unable to confirm the content of documents submitted online, so please ensure you send the correct file.
- No correspondence may be entered into at any time during the project, and the judges’ decision is final.
- Any entry received after the closing date will not be read.
- All entries are read anonymously and the poet’s name must not appear on the poem itself.
- All poems must have a title and must fit the 821 form brief.
- Poems may be on any subject BUT must have some engagement with “North”. How you interpret this is up to you.
- Poems must be the original work of the entrant.
- Entries must not have been published, self-published, published on a website, broadcast or featured among the winners in another competition.
- Entries must be submitted on this website.
- Entries must be written in English.
- Only the authors of successful submissions will be notified.
- No correspondence may be entered into at any stage of the submission process.
- Those selected for publication will be notified by 30 June 2018 and invited to attend a 50th Birthday event at the NPL either in July or December.
- Prizewinners will also be notified by 30 June 2018.
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. However, authors of the winning poems, by entering, grant the project the right to publish their poem. Use of the poems elsewhere for one year from March 2018 is subject to permission from the Northern Poetry Library project organisers.
Besides publication as part of Poem of the North, there are 5 prizes of a Poetry Book Society Membership for the poem deemed by the judges to be the best per Canto.
Technical issues: if you are experiencing an issue submitting your poem, please let us know and we will attempt to remedy. Please note, however, that we will not enter into any editorial discussions.